888 Poker on Android and iPhone
888 took the unusual step of making a ‘beta’ version of their app available several weeks before the official launch, and we were eagerly anticipating its official launch ever since. Now 888 poker for Android, iPhone and iPad has arrived. Sign up first at www.888poker.com first then download the apps.
The 888 Android poker app can only be downloaded via 888poker.com; 888’s iPad and iPhone apps are available through iTunes.
The Big 888 Welcome
As well as free mobile poker, no deposit required, 888 currently offer some seriously attractive offers for new depositing players:
- 7 free entries to the Depositors Freeroll tournaments – look out for these appearing in your account within a couple of days of your first deposit
- 100% cash match on first deposit – your 888 poker bonus will be awarded in £10 installments every time you earn 100 status points, equivalent to £50 in mobile poker tournament fees.
If you don’t already have an account at 888 then here is an easy 1-2-3 to get you started:
- Create an 888 poker account
- Android poker players should head to the site’s download page; iPhone and iPad owners should look for the relevant smartphone or tablet app on iTunes
- Deposit to take advantage of the full welcome package; or start immediately with your 888 poker free play
These apps are free to download – any site that tries to charge you to download them should not be trusted and could be a scam.
888’s timing couldn’t be better and the app’s features also look likely to grab a healthy share of the mobile poker market.
The 888 poker app has joined only two other operators that, at the time of writing in July 2012, are offering sit’n’go tournaments via mobile. The other operators are:
- Terminal Poker
Of these two, only PokerStars can compete with 888’s poker credibility. Combine 888’s credentials with something as fundamental as mobile poker tournaments and you have a what looks on paper to be a winning recipe.
Why are Tournaments So Important?
If you’re the kind of player, like myself, that prefers tournaments to ring games and can rarely be found on cash tables then the answer to this question will be obvious. What attraction is there to playing poker on your phone if you can’t play to your strengths?
If, however, you’re a cash player then you may well be wondering why you should care whether the poker app you prefer should offer tournaments or not. There could be a couple of reasons it’s worth bearing in mind:
- Rookie players prefer tournaments. OK so rookie players also play lower stakes but times are hard and you may find that playing tournaments via your phone offers better value for money than the cash games.
- Many poker sites, and 888’s is one of them, hold regular freeroll tournaments. You may not want to play these every week or month but at the same time they are a great place for beginner players to hone their skills. Mobile poker apps that don’t include tournaments force players back to their PCs to get their free poker action.
And in addition, in mid 2013 888poker announced that players would be able to multi-table using its app.
So the 888 poker app is looking competitive and the good news is it’s compatible too. Although the launch of the iPhone app was put back a little, it’s here now and the list of compatible Android devices is endless so many smartphone owners will be able to download the app immediately. Some of the most common handsets that are supported include:
- The Acer Liquid series
- HTC Desire, Incredible, EVO and Inspire handsets
- Motorola Droids
- LG Optimus
- Samsung Epic and Galaxy S
- The Sony Ericsson Xperia series
And of course you can play the 888 app on your iPad too, if you’re lucky enough to have one. Compare more Android poker apps here.